Withdrawal from Membership
- A member may withdraw from membership.
- a) Notice of intention to withdraw shall be given in writing at least sixty (60) days prior to the date of withdrawal, which shall fall on the last day of a month or on the 15th day of a month.
- b) Upon the date of withdrawal, the Directors shall within one hundred, twenty (120) days, order the repayment of the share capital owing to the member, less any accounts owing or damages that may be assessed.
Death of a Member
- Upon the death of a member, the joint member shall continue to enjoy all rights of membership, including the right to occupy the premises allocated to or previously occupied by the deceased member for a period of twelve months.
Termination of Membership
- The Directors may, by a two-thirds vote of the Directors present at a duly called meeting, order the termination of a membership in the co-operative, subject to the following provisions:
a) The co-operative shall give a minimum of sixty (60) days notice to a member of the termination of his/her membership except where a member contravenes bylaws or policies governing:
- i) Ordinary cleanliness of the unit after having received written notice of the contravention;
- ii) The use of the premises for prohibited purposes;
- iii) Payment of housing charges; or,
- iv) Vandalism or destruction of property belonging to the co-operative or other members of the co-operative:
In these cases the member has a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours from receipt of the order of termination to vacate the premises.
b) All capital furnished by the member, less any outstanding accounts owing to the co-operative shall be refunded to the member within a time of one hundred twenty (120) days following the day of termination.
c) The secretary shall within five (5) days from the date on which the order is made, notify the member of the order. Notice shall be by registered letter addressed to the members’ last known address. The member is deemed to have received the notice 5 days after the registered letter is posted.
d) An, appeal of the order of termination may be taken by the member to a special meeting of the co-operative. Provided that written notice of intention to appeal shall be given in writing by the member to the Secretary within thirty (30) days from the date of the notice mentioned in section 18 c) above.
e) In the event of an appeal being lodged with the Secretary, as provided for in section 18(d) of this bylaw, the Directors shall call a special meeting within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the written notice of appeal.
f) At the special meeting provided for in section 18(e) of this bylaw, a majority vote of the members present shall determine the appeal. Residents whose membership has been terminated must vacate the premises owned by the co-operative within thirty (30) days of termination except in the cases noted under 18(a).
Appeal to the Registar
- Termination of a membership may be appealed to the Registrar:
- a) termination of a membership may be appealed to the Registrar in the manner prescribed in the Co-operatives Act, and the Registrar shall confirm or set aside the resolution terminating the membership.
- b) no person whose membership is terminated for failure to pay fees, assessments, or occupancy charges or to fulfil other financial obligations to the co-operative is eligible to appeal the termination to the Registrar.